Innovation powering service delivery excellence
26 July 2019
Two projects designed to help domestic violence victims to flee are among 15 innovative small business ideas to share in funding from the Morrison Government.
The Business Research and Innovation Initiative (BRII) grants totaling $1.4 million will support the early-stage development of solutions by small businesses to five key government policy and service delivery challenges.
Minister for Industry, Science and Technology Karen Andrews said the initiative will help Australians by tapping into the bright ideas of the business community, and support small businesses to grow by commercialising their ideas.
“From domestic violence to biosecurity, these projects have the potential to make a difference to everyday life, as well as streamlining government services,” Minister Andrews said.
“This initiative allows businesses to work in partnership with government to develop tailored solutions that will ultimately benefit the broader community and economy.
“The initiative also gives government agencies the option to purchase these products, delivering better value for taxpayers and better services for Australians.
“I’m delighted at the range of ideas which demonstrate that Australia’s small businesses are thinking outside the square and developing creative solutions to some of the Government’s biggest challenges.”
This funding underlines the Morrison Government’s commitment to supporting small businesses and better delivering essential services.
The successful projects are:
- Fast and secure digital identity verification for people experiencing domestic violence to access support quickly
- Avatas Consulting – val-ID Biometric Identification Service
- Factil Pty Ltd – Digital identity verification
- Intelligent data to transform tourism service delivery
- Geografia Pty Ltd – Tourism Revenue Impact Predictor
- Metrix Consulting Pty Ltd – Australian Tourism Knowledge Bank
- NEM Australasia Pty Ltd – Project Jigsaw
- Wejugo Pty Ltd – Data-driven travel and tourism marketing and insights platform
- Uplifting government capability to create digital transformation
- Next Paradigm – Digital Capability Hub
- Managing the risks of hitchhiking pests and contaminants on shipping containers
- Industry Spec Drones Pty Ltd – Integrated CS-UAV, Hyperspectral Imaging and Gas Detection to Detect Biosecurity Threats
- iugotec Pty Ltd – AI-Driven Biosecurity Threat Sensing System
- Silverpond Pty Ltd – Using Autonomous Systems to improve current biosecurity inspections
- Trellis Data Pty Ltd – Biosecurity Automated Threat Detection System
- Automating complex determinations for Australian Government information
- Automated Reasoning Alliance – Automated Creation and Application of Digital Record Authorities
- Lenticular Pty Limited – A Context Sensitive Learning and Classification System
- PWC Indigenous Consulting - Algorithmic record management platform with a self-compliance wizard
- Surround Australia Pty Ltd – Tabula Servanda
Further information on the program and grant recipients can be found at www.business.gov.au/BRII.
Media contact: Minister Andrews' office 02 6277 7070